We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.
-2 Corinthians 5:20
What is this?
Anyone who serves at Resonance is a representative of our church, and more importantly, of Christ. Therefore, it’s important for us to commit to living godly personal lives and commit to working together in ways that God has revealed in Scripture, since these promote unity and spiritual health.
The standards outlined below are practical expressions of Biblical values and are essential for personal spiritual health as well as the health of our church family. From the beginning, we have made spiritual and relational health a priority, and as we grow, we have realized the importance of helping new volunteers understand our culture and values so that we can continue to build a church that honors God and maintains that spiritual and relational health.
As such, all Leaders at Resonance commit to live by these standards to the best of their ability and understanding, just as we are asking you to do. We are mutually accountable, and it is our great joy to serve alongside you to see Jesus build His Kingdom through our church!
This is NOT…
- A contract or legal/business document.
- A legalistic standard.
- A promise to be perfect.
What if I don’t meet or agree with some of the items below?
If that’s the case, our main desire for you is that you continue to come to Resonance and grow in your faith. We don’t want something FROM you; we want something FOR you. We also have a Spiritual Health Team who would love to meet with you and help you grow in any of these areas if you have questions or would like help.
Personal Spiritual Health
Jesus said, “Abide in me, and I will abide in you and you will bear much fruit. Apart from me you can do nothing.” Abiding in Christ is the key to having the right attitude and joy to serve others. Experiencing the difference Jesus makes is what enables you to make a difference in His name. The following commitments will keep you rooted in God and abiding in Christ.
- I believe in Jesus Christ, have prayed to receive salvation and either have or plan on being baptized soon.
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)
- I agree to use the Bible as my ultimate standard of truth. It is God’s Word, and it’s more accurate than my opinions, feelings, passions and perspectives.
All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- I agree to grow in the spiritual disciplines so that Christ becomes strengthened in me. This includes, but is not limited to, Bible reading, prayer, tithing, fasting, solitude, rest, etc.
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it go get a crown that will last forever. (1 Corinthians 9:25)
- I agree to pursue personal holiness and purity in my life. Therefore, I will avoid dishonorable behaviors, and even the appearance of evil (even if they are viewed as culturally-acceptable), such as getting drunk, using illegal drugs, viewing sexually explicit materials (e.g., pornography), having sexual interactions with anyone outside of a monogamous, heterosexual marriage, etc.
As obedient children, do not conform to evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:14-16)
- I agree to help reach as many people as possible for Christ. I will strive to help others grow in a personal relationship with Jesus by inviting them to Resonance, loving them well and sharing my story.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
Teamwork makes the dream work! The following values and commitments are what will keep us relationally healthy as a church and a team.
- I agree to go directly to the person I have a concern with prior to enlisting support from others. If after the initial difficult conversation, I still don’t feel right, I will ask my Leader to go with me to resume the difficult conversation. If after that interaction I haven’t been satisfied, then I will find the appropriate person in a senior position of leadership of the church and seek their guidance.
If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you…But if he will not listen, take one or two others along…If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church… (Matthew 18: 15-17)
- I agree to trust those in Leadership. Leadership often requires difficult decisions to be made. If I have a question or issue with a decision, I agree to not gossip at any time. Gossip is defined as discussing anything negative with someone who can’t help to solve the problem. These negatives should never be communicated sideways or down. They should only be communicated up to a leader who can do something about it. I agree to communicate all negatives up to my direct leader.
Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you. (Hebrews 13:17)
- I agree to follow-through on my commitments. I realize that when I don’t do what I said I would do, I dishonor God and those I’m in community with. Unfulfilled commitments put an additional burden on others that they shouldn’t bear. I commit to follow through on this agreement as well.
Simply let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes’ and your ‘No’, ‘No’… (Matthew 5:37)
Personal Holiness and Purity
If you cannot agree to all of the following statements, please continue to come to Resonance and grow in your faith, but you are not quite ready to represent Jesus as a servant leader yet.
- I agree to NOT live with a romantic partner that I’m not married to.
- I agree to NOT live an alternative lifestyle, including LGBTQ+.
- I agree that if I drink alcohol, I will avoid getting drunk.
- I agree to NOT use illegal drugs, including marijuana.
By completing this form, I acknowledge that I am in agreement with these volunteer standards and will do my best to uphold them as a part of the Resonance Family. If I ever need help in any area, I will talk to a leader or the Spiritual Health Team to get answers to my questions or to continue to grow in my faith walk.
- I agree that I have carefully considered all of the above statements and have answered truthfully in each area.
Ready to Serve?
If you are ready to make a difference at Resonance, you can register here to take your next step!
Just the Form?
Are you just looking for the Volunteer Standards Form to sign it?